How to choose the best Pickleball clothing and gear can be a challenge for most Pickleball players. The main reason for this is the fact that there is actually no Pickleball clothing or gear category which you can take a look at when you search online. We’ve tried to make it easier for you by explaining how to go about finding the best Pickleball clothing & gear that will not only serve a functional purpose, but also allow you to look good while playing the game too.
Table of Contents
As a Pickleball player, you want to not only feel comfortable but also look your best on the court. There is no ‘special Pickleball apparel’. You need to have is superior comfort so you can move around the Pickleball court freely. Be sure to take a look at our picks for best Pickleball clothing for men & women as well as the best Pickleball shoes, Pickleball gloves, glasses & caps or visors in our article entitled Pickleball Clothing & Other Pickleball Gear.
As with any sport, it’s good to have the right Pickleball apparel. It makes it easy to play and enjoy the game even more. This is why we look into Pickleball clothing & other Pickleball gear for men and women which will enhance your enjoyment of your Pickleball game.
With so many people finding out about pickleball and wanting to play the sport, it’s apparent that having the right pickleball clothing is so important to enjoying this activity. Pickleball combines strategy, dexterity, speed, and other skills that make it fun & challenging. You need the right Pickleball clothing to provide you the mobility to meet its challenges.
For women, pickleball has become quite popular over tennis because it uses a smaller court. The sport focuses on dexterity and agility and women can successfully compete with men. However, to do all those things, wearing the right gear is important.
How To Choose Pickleball Clothing & Other Pickleball Gear
As a fast-paced, strategy game played either indoors or outdoors, Pickleball players clothes need to have the right combination of comfort and aesthetics. Pickleball clothing has to suit the climate they’re being worn in.
Naturally, you should think along the lines of exercise clothing. Also, think of gear that is appropriate for tennis when thinking about what to wear when playing pickleball. This means wearing items that breathe, are loose fitting, lightweight, and durable so they will last a long time.
As a Pickleball player, you always want to look good on the Pickleball court to boost your confidence!
Here are a few tips for buying Pickleball clothing & related Pickleball gear:
- Don’t go Baggy: Baggy clothes will not only impede your movement on the court but also lead to faults if the ball touches the clothes. Also, baggy is not a trend anymore!
- Look for absorption materials: There are a few materials that most sportswear is made of. You will need fabrics that are lightweight, breathable, and keep you comfortable while playing. The good news is that there are several fabrics that work quite well, including the following;
- Cotton: Absorbs moisture while protecting the skin
- Polyester or Nylon: Strong, yet soft and flexible. Resists mildew
- Spandex: There are no restrictions in movement here and it breathes
These materials have higher sweat-wicking properties and are thus more comfortable to play in.
Other Things To Consider When Choosing Pickleball Clothing & Gear
- Sun Protection: One of the most overlooked aspects of clothing is protecting your skin from the sun. If you play pickleball outdoors, you will need to choose materials that offer protection from the ultraviolet (UV) rays that will damage the skin. Also, think about wearing sunscreen that doesn’t run off when you sweat.
- Freedom of Movement: Clothing that provides freedom of movement means that you can move your arms and legs with full range of motion without restrictions. Because pickleball requires agility and dexterity, you will need to think about wearing items like a well-fitting t-shirt, tank top, or compression top that does not restrict the arms. A dress with a short skirt, shorts that fit well, or leggings are well suited to complete your outfit.
- Shoes: Because pickleball forces you to move around in a small area, getting shoes that provide enough flexibility and comfort are a must. You might want to think about cross-training shoes as they offer protection from side-to-side running and have plenty of padding. Think about high tops. They offer some protection for the ankles so you are less likely to have a sprain occur. Take a look at our article on the best pickleball shoes to wear.
- A good Pickleball glove will save you lots of frustrations on the Pickleball court. It helps prevent your hand slipping on the Pickleball paddle handle.
- Pickleball can be very fast paced & wearing protective eyewear will give you the piece of mind of knowing that there will be no nasty accidents where a stray Pickleball ball hits your eye at high speed.
- Get a Pickleball cap or visor for summer to protect your face from the sun. It also important to see the ball when you’re facing the sun while playing on the Pickleball court!
Get Ready to Break a Sweat
Because pickleball is a game of constant movement, you will be sweating after a short time. Consider taking breaks in your game and have plenty of water and towels at the ready. Wristbands and headbands will keep the sweat away from your hands and out of your eyes, so consider wearing those as well. If you are playing in hot or cold conditions, consider taking more breaks or shortening the game so that you do not dehydrate.
Pickleball is a fun game that provides many hours of entertainment if you wear the right Pickleball clothing & Pickleball gear and have plenty of water.